Thursday, October 18, 2012

Diamond Terrifier, Kill the Self that Wants to Kill Yourself

Diamond Terrifier is Sam Hillmer. It's Sam Hillmer playing alto sax and maybe a tenor and/or a baritone? It's Sam Hillmer with a bunch of pedals and effects, what used to be called electronics, and is still called electronics by those who prefer the term. I don't care. There sounds like other things are going on on this 30-something minute recording, but I guess that's a keyboard or a sequencer driving the tones? Again. I don't care, really.

It's Sam Hillmer coming out of the noise scene, unaffected by jazz for the most part. I have no idea what that means, but the press sheet says something like that, so I thought I'd mention it to you.

Oh, the CD album is Diamond Terrifier's Kill the Self That Wants to Kill Yourself (Northern Spy CD 026).

His sax playing is free and noisy, for the most part. The electronics are atmospheric and sometimes melodically-harmonically pivotal to the music at hand.

Free sorts of things prevail, but at the beginning and end there are structural openings and closings.

I liked it.

No comments:

Post a Comment